A LEED Certified home, Rosebud Ranch was designed to feel like a compound of structures that have been built over time, starting in the mid 1800s with a central stone house then added onto over the years as the ranch grew and prospered and required additional ranch hands.
The late and beautiful Ellen Clark made the project her passion and her memory, sprinkles and love abounds in everything Rosebud.
Rosebud, next to Elk Creek and Buster Pond, is surrounded by wetlands on McCabe Ranch, a working cattle ranch. In addition to the main house, the ranch includes a 2-car garage, caretaker’s cottage, an art cottage/studio and a new horse barn with landscaping that utilizes indigenous plant life which minimizes disruptions to the natural landscape. A critical element of the architecture is the historic relocation of five complete log cabins built in southern Missouri in the early 1800s. Each cabin has its own documented history and were carefully disassembled, transported to Colorado and painstakingly recreated to be the basis of the design. Other primary materials include: reclaimed barn wood, reclaimed timbers, 2 relocated barns, rusted corrugated metal roofs, slate roof, copper, cast iron hardware, and indigenous stone.
Location – Pitkin County – 15 miles West of Aspen in Old Snowmass, CO.
About the Relocated Cabins from Missouri
- The Luecke Homestead
Mr. Luecke was born around 1800 in Germany and found his way to New Orleans, Louisiana. In the early 1820s, he made his way back to Germany, having heard of the Homestead act in Missouri, and brought a good number of German immigrants with him. Most of them settled in Maries County, Missouri. The elder Luecke along with able-bodied German immigrants built the first cabin, in 1825, with the slot window. An unusual feature of the cabin is its length of the purlin logs. At 28 feet, the double purlins in the large attic space for living quarters set this log cabin apart. The slot window enjoyed amazing views of the Maries River and the Ozark Mountains.
- Located on a 1,200-acre parcel (McCabe Ranch)
- 5,750 SF Main House
- 4 Bedrooms, 4 Full and 2 Half Baths
- Media Cabin
- Guest Master Suite
- Sitting Cabin
- 2 Laundry Rooms
- Giant Mud Room
- Giant Great Room
- Hearth room incorporated into the ‘orignal’ stone silo
- Office Cabin
- Caretaker Cabin
- 2 Full Bedrooms and 1 Full Bath
- 2-Car Garage
- The Luecke Cabin
The second log cabin was built out of necessity as the homesteaders had nine children. The cabin was built nearby once the oldest two boys outgrew the main house. We were told the two sons lived and died on the farm and never married and they lived their entire lives in this cabin.
- The Slave Cabin
The third cabin from the Luecke Homestead in Maries County, Missouri, was used as a slave cabin. Probably built around 1825, many artifacts were recovered, including the original stone foundation that the building still rests on. Among the items found were shackles which disturbed Ellen and caused her to rebuild the cabin as a relic away from the main house. Deloris Heck (Luecke) met us at the farm and told us the history as she was told. Deloris was born in 1930 and passed away in 2018 at the age of 87.
- The Chimney Cabin
This traditional log cabin was built in 1828 by the Vineyard family. The cabin served as the main residence and had a large attic space to serve as the sleeping quarters and the windows were protected by iron bars, to keep Indians out.
We had the opportunity to meet Lonnie and Darlene Vineyard, descendants of the original owners. Lonnie told us he, along with his older brother and sister, were born in the cabin in the 1930s and 1940s. The chimney stones were quarried less than an eighth of a mile away from where the cabin sat, until the logs and stone from the chimney were disassembled in 2005 and brought to Rosebud Ranch.
- The Pony Express Cabin
This log cabin was built around 1830 by German immigrants that had settled Maries County Missouri as a depot for the nearby US Army. The log structure was originally used to store goods, later becoming a pony express stop, a general goods grocery store, and finally as an auto mechanic shop. In 2005, we rescued the building by carefully marking each log, taking the building apart and bringing it to Rosebud Ranch.